Sunday, September 15, 2013

I Can't Focus!

OMG!  I've got a few different writing projects going on and I'm having trouble focusing!

Or, I was...

I ended up making a list of all the things I'm working on, what I want with them and what I need to do to get there with them.

From there, I thought about what I need/want to focus on now.  Where is my heart?  What am I feeling passionate about?

Then, I gave them a "timeline".  The time frame I gave them was short/medium/long term goal.  Since then it's been a bit easier to focus.

So, what's come of it?

Well, I stopped working on a series of short stories for a possible shorts collection.

I stopped working on a second fantasy novel (well, I'm only about 1/3-1/4 of the way done my first).

I wrote two more kids stories in a series and edited/ fine tuned the second in the series.

I also am in the process of creating a contract with an illustrator for the first book in the above series and hopefully things will work out for all of them!

I am writing only one novel right now and have been getting 500-1000 words here and there in the first draft.  I had learned a lot about getting the words down in the first draft and not editing as you go or you'll never finish!  I'm leaving myself notes in Scrivener in case I know I need to add/change something when I go through it after finishing the whole novel and it's been helping a lot.

I also stopped working on a non-fiction running novel as I am at a point where I need a couple goals to come about to continue writing it.  On a side note, my running comeback from knee and hip surgery this past Spring has stalled as I'm having pain in both joints and have been for about a month.

So, have you been stuck?  Having a hard time focusing?

Write down your goals.  What are you working on?  What are you feeling passionate about?  What do you need to do to get it done?  Write them down and rate them on a scale.  The time range goal worked for me.  Maybe a 1-5 range or least important to most important rating will work for you.  Either way, focus your work; take charge of it and get at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment