Sunday, March 16, 2014

How the...do you write?

Honestly, I don't know!  If I knew that, I could probably teach writi...wait, I do- to 3rd graders anyway :)

I haven't written consistently for a month.  My main focus of late has been writing children's book manuscripts, of which I've written four in the past six weeks, along with a poem.  But, I haven't been writing everyday.

The poem was about a child with writer's block.  That idea came from a FB message from the mom of my daughter's friend.  It just kind of spewed forth.  She gave me the idea of what to write about and I just started writing.  It came out very nicely, I might add.

The other stories just kind of come to me.  I think about the kind of stories I like to read- fantasy, adventure- and go from there.  I love dragons.  Dragons popped up in three of the manuscripts I'm working on.  One of the MS's had an image pop into my head of a tree and the story evolved from there.

I got the idea for my Demon Hunter series (only book 1 is out: Why He Runs From the Basement) because my cat, whose litter box is in the basement, always bolts up the stairs and around the house whenever he poops.  We always joke about it when it happens and it always brings a laugh.  Well, I used that cat pooping inspiration for the book/ series!  Another kindle short I wrote came from an odd, freaky occurrence on a trail run.  You never know where an idea will come from (so always carry a journal!!).

When I start writing, kids or adult, ideas come to me.  Sometimes I can just write/ type as I think the story through.  A lot of the time, I write an outline of what I want to happen in the story (beats) and I fill in the events as I go.  When I write for adults, I'll end up writing 500-1000+ words at a time following along with the beats.

Writing is not easy.  A lot of the time, what I write will never get published/ self published.  But, it is important to try to write everyday.  When you write consistently, your quality of writing will get better.  Set time aside every day, whether at a consistent time or place or not, for you to write.  This is a very important practice to follow.

Why is it important?  Well, I started the second novella in a Kindle series in January.  I wrote consistently for a couple weeks, then formatting for The Rabbit Who Wished He Could Fly took over.  When that happened, and I so happy it did, writing daily for the Demon Hunter series took a hit.  Now, I have the time to get back into it, but that requires taking the time to reread what I have so far (about 1/3 of the MS), going over my beats, and hitting the keys.

Reading is also important.  Read, read, read!  Read a variety of books in a variety of genres.  Focus on the genre you want to write in, but expand as well.  Reading will help increase your vocabulary and help your writing style.  It may also help with writer's block.  You may come up with an idea to move your book forward while reading (no, I don't mean plagiarize- but something might *click*).

When you write your first draft remember it's just that- your first draft!  Get those words out.  Don't edit as you go as that may hinder your creative flow.  Just get the words down while your words and ideas are fresh- and before you forget them!

Do you have any writing advice?
This was just a tad, there's plenty more out there...

No comments:

Post a Comment