Thursday, October 2, 2014

YOU by Caroline Kepnes Book Review

First, I'd like to mention that I got this book as a Klout perk.  All views are my own...

But I also don't think I'd review a book I didn't like.  If I don't like a book, I won't finish it.  With that said, here's my review!  Oh, there may be spoilers...but nothing major...

YOU is a creepy thriller written from Joe's point of view.  The target of his sociopathic obsession, Beck, is written in second person- meaning YOU, the reader, are Beck.  It was this point of view that caught my interest first.  I'd never read a book like this since ye ole choose your own adventure fantasy books from the 80's that I read from time to time.  This was not a choose your own adventure by the least.

Joe falls for Beck (you) as soon as she walks into the bookstore he works at.  They flirt and he ends up with her name and address (credit card transaction).  The creepiness also started in this first chapter.  The second chapter begins with him telling about how much he's learned about you because he's been sitting outside your apartment watching you.

The creepiness gets creepier from there...some examples?  Sure!

Joe wants to have you all to himself and will not let anything, or anyone, get in the way.  He mentions briefly how he's killed at least one person in the past who was in his was of an obsession that didn't work out.

He steals your phone from you and you just go get another.  He reads your e-mails, both incoming and outgoing, he reads your tweets, your Facebook, everything about you.  Here and there he slips, but you never catch on.

The story evolves, deepens as he goes after anyone he perceives as in his way- friends, ex's, therapist, etc..  He does everything he can to be near you- he watches you through your windows, finds a way to get to your therapist, follows you to parties (you don't know he's there, though) and weekends away.  He even hires you at the bookstore he manages.

The story kept me interested all the way to the end, to the final confrontation...

I highly recommend this story.  I absolutely loved it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment