Sunday, January 18, 2015

2015 Journal Challenge Week 3

Written January 17th, 2015, Saturday. Week 3, 2015 Journal Challenge.

Every time I write in here, I feel like I'm knocking down barriers into my unconscious self.  I feel  like my head is going to explode and my heart is going to pour out as ink on paper.

It makes me think back to the poetry I used to write, how easy it was to open up and let my heart write.

But I stopped.

The muse was plugged up and stored away.  One and a half years ago, I started writing again.  Fiction first, then to picture books to chapter books.  Now to journaling as well.

Blogging about running came in between.  It helped to rekindle that passion, which led back to writing once I couldn't run much at all.  It'll be two years this coming June since I started The Incidental Hero, two years this July since I wrote The Rabbit Who Wished He Could Fly.

It's been one year since, well, basically, this month that I've been writing picture book manuscripts.  And? Six months since I joined a critique group and my writing started to grow.  It's been amazing what you can accomplish when you put your mind to it and pour your heart into it.

Who knows where I'll be in six months?  A year?  Where ever I'll be, the journey will be amazing.

I let fear of the unknown stop me about twenty years ago.  When I was trying to figure out what I wanted to go back to school for, I went back and forth between my M. Ed in Elementary School Guidance Counseling and an M.F.A. in Creative Writing.  I opted for the M. Ed program, and ended up switching that to Elementary Education.  It was a short time after that that I stopped writing.

I don't regret the path I've taken- I never would have met Jane, had our son, adopted our daughter, etc...

Sometimes I think about going back for an MFA, but dealing with the hoops is not something that appeals to me.

But, getting back on track, we can not let fear of the unknown rule our decisions.  By posting these journal entries, I'm pushing that fear aside.  By joining 12x12, a critique group- even taking up the role of running a critique group-, sharing my work, sending manuscripts out to agents and publishers, I am taking huge steps- have taken huge steps- to overcome fear.

Your assignment, should anyone be reading this, is to write about a fear that soppped you from doing something.  What was it?

What was a fear you defeated?

No comments:

Post a Comment