Sunday, February 1, 2015

Not many people know: 2015 Journal Challenge Week 5

January 31st, 2015, Saturday

What is something not many people know about you?

Well, I fenced in high school (epee), played rugby in college for Kutztown University, did some duathlons (4th place top finish), a few dozen bike races (5th place top finish), a few triathlons (1st in AG top finish), and some running races (5k-50k and 3rd place top finish).  But, if you read my now defunct running blog, you would know those things already.

2010: We were so happy to see Thumper!
Within all those accomplishments, you'd think there were some deep secrets not many people know...and there are.  However, this does not come from there.

What is it?

I have a love for stuffed animals.

Yes, you heard that right!  I really do and I don't know where it began.  I can only think of two that I had growing up- a stuffed Garfield, and a little stuffed dog.  Maybe it came to life when we were building our son's nursery back in 2003-4.  We did a jungle theme and I went to the store without telling jane where I was going.  I ended up at Toys-R-Us and bought several stuffed animals!  An elephant, a jaguar, a tiger (named Hobbes that we still have), a lion and a few monkeys, and possibly even more...I (we) used to play with them often!

But before then, early in our relationship, Jane bought me a Thumper as  joke.  We fought over possession of that rabbit often.  It even led to our possibly greatest Disney moment ever: meeting Thumper!  Even now, I torture our cat, my kids, and my wife with them.  Even my students at school.

Can't Touch This
As I write this, I've got Runner, the black footed Beanie Baby ferret, staring at me from a bookshelf, and Thumper perched on a window sill by our bed.  We've got Wolfie, a wolf puppet, Genghis Khan, a ferret, and my kids have several big eyed Beanie Baby animals around the house (mostly cats) for a constant source of entertainment.  Stupid is probably the best source of laughter, with watching my daughter play poker with them a close 2nd.  I also have a shark Beanie at my desk and another small one I was given by Jane because it reminded her of a character in a PB MS that I hoe to get published someday.

So that's it.
I.  Love.  Stuffed animals.

What's something that not many people know about you?

4 comments:

  1. Omg, I too love stuffed animals! At college I have: 2 bunneis, a duck, an anteater, a dragon, and an octopus. There's something about the fuzzy, unconditional love of a stuffed animal that is just contagious. ;)
    Something that people are beginning to learn about me is that I am obsessed with fish. Living fish, that is. I have 2 at home that have been alive since the 8th grade and a betta with me at school, but in my heyday I had 4 fish tanks and 3 fish bowls. All of the animals are well cared for, I don't hoard them, and my dream is one day to have one of those massive tanks f 100+ gallons. I already know what fish to put in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fish! I used to have fish, too...but they never lasted that long :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, Erik! I may or may not sleep with a stuffed skunk every night...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe- as long as it doesn't have realistic scent...

      Delete