Monday, October 26, 2015

Susan Leonard Hill 5th Annual Halloweensie Contest!

The story below is for the 5th Annual Halloweensie Contest run by Susan Leonard Hill over at her blog here.  Click the link for details!  My entry is written below (100 words or less, written for kids- as I said, more details at her site if you're interested!!

The Halloween Egg


Something rolled around inside Erik’s trick or treat bag.
He peaked in and saw a gigantic, purple object.
“Eggplant?!” he yelled.
“No, an egg,” John said
“Really?”
“Yeah.”
“My candy’s gone!”
“Maybe your costume scared it away.”
“Maybe it’s not my bag.”
“Let’s hatch it!”
“Yeah!”
They sprinted home along the dark streets.
Once inside, they wrapped the egg in a blanket.  John used his lamp for heat.
The brothers watched until they fell asleep.
Cccccrrrraaaaack!
The brothers woke-up.
“It’s hatching!” Erik shouted.
The top popped off.
“Rraaahhhh,” came a high pitched squeal as a baby dragon peaked out.


That's it!  100 words goes fast :)

Thanks for reading!!!

Erik Ammon

21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! I have big ideas for this story :)

      Delete
  2. Well that was unexpected! A baby dragon would be a nice treat! Well, until it grew up. Great story! Happy Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what comes next- going to do NaNoWriMo until this story is fully written out :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It's going to be so much fun to write!!!

      Delete
  4. "Please Mom, can I keep the baby dragon?"
    Um no.
    But that story was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe...the chapter book (not sure what level it'll be) will allow for the grown up dragon(s)...

      Delete
  5. Fun story with an unexpected twist! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww! so cute! A lovely story in one hundred words. Great ending.

    Happy Halloween, Erik! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm hoping this will be just the beginning :)

      Delete
  7. That sounds like the best Halloween treat in the whole wide world. I want a baby dragon! Good job, and good luck to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh! I bet they never expected that! What a surprise! Probably the best treat they ever got :) Thanks so much for joining in the Halloweensie fun, Erik! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's turning into a good story- I think...- I've got 1.5 chapters done!

      Delete
  9. I hope that dragon likes to eat Halloween candy!

    Really fun story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. small lizards and fish....maybe chocolate covered for a treat!

      Delete
  10. Hey Erik,

    I liked your story, but I want more! Looks like we have a few things in common, like running, writing and knee problems too.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken! I love running and miss it dearly. However, I finally found a brace that has helped me run a mile without pain! I've gone for 6 or 7 runs in the past 5 weeks or so since I got it and all signs are good :) I have 1.5 chapters done for the story- more to come today! Guess I'm not waiting for NaNoWriMo for this one.

      Delete
  11. Wow...great story concept, Erik! And now what will they do? Stay tuned for the next installment. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the kind of treat I would have wanted in my Halloween bag! I see more chapters coming :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete