Monday, August 22, 2016

Time for school!

Time to help guide kids into a love of reading and writing (or increase it if they already are!).

Write with a pen?  Yes you can!  Pick your own journal, write about what every you want, what ever inspires you.

Need ideas?  Check out the back bulletin board!  I've got a noun chart- pick two, combine them and write a story about that (watch out- here comes Ninja Toilet!).

Nothing?

How about the monthly journal prompt calendar- pick form today, or any day this month!

No, ok, well, there's The Hat.  It's your last option before I give you a topic (discourages avoiding writing all together during a free writing time- we do have curriculum writing time, too). There's a ton of prompts in it.  Just pick one out...BUT whichever one you choose, that's it.  If you don't like it, you have to get one from me.

Books?

I love good books.  I have a huge library in my class.  At the end of the year, I do weed out the old, much loved books that need to be retired, or the ones no one has read in a few years.  I buy more over the summer to replace, and add some fresh ink.

I look for books that will interest the kids, hold their attention (and mine!!), that they'll want as soon as I'm done.

Silent reading, partner reading?  Yeah, we have the curriculum books they must read, but during a free choice time, they can read what ever book they want.  I don't discourage, but do help when asked.

I always keep a book of mine (or my kindle) on my desk next to my journal(s).  They need to see that I practice what I preach!  I don't have the time to always read and write with them, but I'll take it when I can.

So, back to school for me!

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment