Sunday, October 30, 2016

Walking and running to clear my head

Exercise has always been there to help clear my head.  I'm a long way away from my sub 20 5ks and 20+ mile runs for fun, but anytime I can get out, I always come back motivated to do anything- EVEN LAUNDRY!

Today was one of those days.  I've been trying to intentionally go out for a walk/run to cover anywhere from 1.5-2 miles on the weekends.  During the week, with school, I walk about a 5k a day (I keep track on my phone), and I use a stand for my computer, so even when not walking, I'm standing at my desk more than I used to.

I managed to get two sets of .25 miles running mixed in with walking for a 1.92 total (those ungounded numbers used to drive me nuts!).  My knee was barking at me quite a bit, but I pushed through the pain.

Pushing through the pain is a lot like pushing through writer's block. It may hurt, there may be some struggle, but no real damage is being done...at least I hope. The knee (and hip) are a long story, but I won't get into that.  Once the pain begins, the block hits back, you have to make a conscience decision to keep going.  The pain comes and goes, and you keep putting one foot in front of the other.  The block obstructs your view of your goal, your plot, but you have to keep typing away, putting one word in front of the other. Eventually, you can continue on with your run/ walk, and get back to that point of enjoyment. When writing, if you can keep putting one word down in front of the other, you may advance the plot enough to get you through it, and get you to a point of fluidity.

Well, that paragraph had nothing to do with my title.  More squirrels playing with the marbles in my head.

I find that as I move, no matter the form, my thoughts ramble on, like a brain dump in a journal, or as I do on Pages on my iPad.  I hit a point where an idea for a poem came to me, just a couple lines, and I typed them into a message to myself as I walked.

Once I got home, ate and drank some water, I felt very refreshed.  I made an adjustment to the faucet I put in a few weeks ago, did a couple loads of laundry, took care of the dishes, played with the cat and cleaned myself up.

What do you do to clear your head?

Oh! Here's Bandit, the newest member of our family.  Like Kona, he's a One By One cat.  Very chatty, very sweet.  We're all still getting adjusted to each other, but it's going really well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment